Second day of Rhyl Air Show gets off to a flying start!
A standby and two callout for both boats meant the volunteers of the charity’s lifeboats were kept busy, as the displays carried on overhead on a great day, the second of Rhyl’s third annual Air Shows.
The crew were awoken from their slumbers at 7.46am on Sunday, to come to immediate readiness for assistance to the gas rig at the Douglas Complex, 11 miles out. As the crew were assembling, the rig reported a false alarm and the crew were stood down, classing this service as a standby.
The crew had just started allowing the public to board the lifeboat at the station at 12.30pm, when Rhyl harbour master reported a small leisure fishing boat with four people on board, out of Rhyl, had developed engine trouble. The All-weather lifeboat launched within five minutes, and found the boat with three adults, one child and one dog, about three miles North-West of Rhyl, around the Rhyl Flats wind farm. A tow was undertaken to Rhyl harbour, after taking two adults and the child off the boat for safety reasons due. At Rhyl harbour entrance, the tow was transferred to the inshore lifeboat to take the boat under Rhyl pedestrian/cycle bridge, so it did not need to be raised because of the impending start of the air show. The casualty was returned to it’s launching slipway at 1.50pm.
Because the Air Show was starting at 2pm, the lifeboats were unable to recover, as they would be encroaching into the restricted zone around the display area.
They therefore held off some distance out , and enjoyed some of the displays there.
At 2.56pm, a call came through from the beach lifeguards at Prestatyn, that a lady had dislocated her knee on the beach at Ffrith in Prestatyn. The lifeguards reported access for emergency services was limited, and so the lifeboats made their way to just offshore the casualty. Two of the crew waded from the lifeboat to shore with first aid and pain relief, and this was followed up by the inshore lifeboat crew and a basket stretcher for the casualty. Treatment was carried out with the assistance of local coastguards and the lifeguards, and the lady was made comfortable until an ambulance neared the site. The lady was taken in the stretcher to the ambulance, handed over to the ambulance personnel, and then the lifeboat crews returned to their boats at 3.49pm.
Again, because the second part of the air show was already being carried out, the crews had to stand off until the main event – The Red Arrows- completed their display. The lifeboats returned to station at 6pm, some 5.5 hours after launching.
The one up side of these services meant that the lifeboat crews were treated to an unusual view of the displays, with Rhyl promenade in the background.
The attached photos show—
The first casualty being as the lifeboat approached.
The view from the lifeboat of the lady on Ffrith beach with ambulance, coastguard , lifeguard and RNLI personnel.
The Red Arrows flying over Rhyl as they start their display.
20150830mod DSCN7069mod DSCN7070mod DSCN7083mod

Further photos will be found on our Rhyl Lifeboat Facebook page in due course. See section bottom right of page.

For more information please telephone Paul Frost MBE, Rhyl Lifeboat station Press Officer on 07894 105165; the RNLI press office on +44 (0)1202 662218 / 663184 / 663510 (or contact the Press Media relations officer, Danielle Rush, on 01745 585162.