D770 “Mary Maxwell” Inshore Lifeboat – Services 2017

18/7/2017. 2100. The crew had only just left the station after a quite rigorous physical training evening, when they were paged to initially search for a 21-foot speedboat with two people on board, who had machinery failure somewhere by the Rhyl Flats wind farm, and thought they were somewhere between Llandudno and Abergele. The vessel had set out from Rhyl the previous afternoon, so were heading back towards there. The all-weather Rhyl lifeboat launched and proceeded to the westerly side of the wind farm, and tried to contact the casualty by radio, but was not very successful. As the lifeboat approached Colwyn Bay, the UK coastguard at Holyhead suggested that it may be prudent to launch Llandudno lifeboat to help search. About ten minutes later, Rhyl lifeboat managed to contact the casualty, and minutes later, spotted them off Rhos-on-sea. Llandudno lifeboat was stood down, as Rhyl was close by. The lifeboat was alongside within five minutes. A towline was attached and the vessel was towed back to Rhyl.
As there was no water in the harbour to recover the boat, the Inshore lifeboat was launched to take the owner back to shore, so he could bring their trailer to the lifeboat station. The boat was successfully recovered at the station and the lifeboats got back at about 20 minutes past midnight.

17/7/2017.1855 Inshore lifeboat and coastguards paged to four males in two inflatables, being carried out to sea by the ebb tide from the harbour entrance. Coastguards were on scene first, just as all four had managed to make it back to shore, the lifeboat arriving two minutes later. As all were well and the inflatables were recovered, the lifeboat was stood down. One of the inflatables was found to be partially deflated as the party made it ashore. None were wearing lifejackets. The coastguards gave the party some sea safety advice, and the lifeboat returned to station at 1920.

9/7/2017. 1332. As the crew were getting ready for a photo shoot, a gentleman riding past on a bike told the coxswain that people were swimming out after a life ring at Splash Point. The coxswain alerted Rhyl coastguard mobile and the UK coastguard at Holyhead. The ILB was requested to launch to assist. The coastguard arrived on scene minutes before the ILB, and reported the people were now out of the water. The ILB crew retrieved the life ring and returned to station at 1350.

………………2138. The ILB crew were paged to assist Rhyl coastguards with a report of a distressed person in the water off Lyons camp. The ILB was about to launch when the coastguards reported the person was out of the water. However, as the crew returned to the boathouse, coastguards asked for assistance as the person’s health had deteriorated and casualty care was needed. The ILB launched and went to scene, the crew helping with oxygen and casualty care until the ambulance crew arrived. Once the person was handed over to the ambulance crew, the ILB returned to station by 2250.

8/7/2017. 1519. Numerous people had reported to Rhyl RNLI lifeguards, regarding a small dinghy with two occupants off Kinmel Bay, possibly waving. The ILB crew were paged and the ILB launched within 6 minutes. On approaching the dinghy, the crew could see that the boat was no longer than two metres, and had a small two horsepower outboard engine. The occupants were fishing happily. The ILB helm gave them some safety advice, and advised them that they should return to shore. On pulling up the anchor, the ILB crew were surprised to find it consisted of a rock in a bag. The two occupants (who were wearing lifejackets) then headed back to shore, but ran out of fuel. They had spare fuel, so topped up and went back to the beach, escorted by the ILB. Once safely ashore, they were given more safety advice and the ILB returned to shore at 1555.

28/6/2017. 0255 The pagers alerted the crew to launch both boats.  The call came from the UK Coastguard; via their Holyhead control centre. It was to assist North Wales Police and local coastguard volunteers searching for a vulnerable person, who had threatened to enter the sea between the Sky Tower and Rhyl’s Splash Point. The ILB was launched first and started to search just offshore to the west of the station, followed by the AWB, which would search to the East towards Splash Point.
A few minutes after the AWB had launched, word was passed by the local coastguard Officer-in-charge on scene, that the person had been found ashore just by the Sealife Centre, 200 metres to the west of the station. There was no need for the lifeboats to remain on scene, so they were stood down, returning to station by 3.30am.

19/6/2017.1741. The UK coastguard at Holyhead had received numerous 999 calls from members of the public who had seen a young girl apparently in difficulties in the sea off Rhyl. The crew launched within seven minutes of the pagers alerting them, and were on scene some four minutes later. They found a party of young people on the shore line. One of the party had said she was performing handstands in the sea, and also was waving. She said she was OK, and not in any danger. The crew then returned to station at 1805 after handing out some sea safety advice about waving when at sea, their assistance not being required. False alarm, good intent.

4/6/2017.1312. Both boats were paged to assist a 7m Dory sports fishing boat with four people on board, who had suffered mechanical failure on their outboard engine, and were drifting in the shipping channel between Prestatyn and Talacre. Rhyl local coastguard team were also tasked at the same time. When the services got to site, the vessel had come ashore but required returning to Rhyl. It had shipped a fair bit of water in the surf. With the help of the coastguards and local RNLI lifeguards, the boat was successfully refloated and the inshore lifeboat towed the craft to the waiting all-weather lifeboat. Three of the occupants were returned to Rhyl by the coastguards, and the remaining person was taken aboard the lifeboat which then returned to Rhyl with the casualty in tow. The craft was recovered on to its trailer at Rhyl beach, and the lifeboats returned to station at 1700, having had to pump water from the craft with the lifeboat’s salvage pump. The vessel’s occupants were then able to take their craft away.

1/6/2017.1546. ILB crew paged after two males were seen to come off a PWC (Powered Water Craft – Jetski) off Pensarn, Abergele. The men were wading ashore but the craft was being taken out to sea. The ILB launched and went to the PWC, then to the two men who were waving at the water’s edge. One man was taken on board the ILB and returned to the Jetski where he was able to re-start the machine and return to shore , to await the vehicle and trailer to recover them. As all was now well, the ILB returned to station by 1655.

31/5/2017. 1526. The ILB crew were paged after a member of the public called 999 and expressed concern for a green inflatable boat with two people on board apparently drifting out to sea off Golden sands Camp, Towyn. The ILB launched, and located an inflatable kayak off the camp, with two persons fishing from it. A quick safety check was carried out, and the occupants said they were OK and would return to shore later. As all was well, the ILB returned to station at 1602.

26/5/2017.1224. The ILB crew were alerted by the UK coastguard at Holyhead after two people on a sports leisure boat about 1.5 miles off Rhyl, reported by mobile phone that they could not start their engine. There was a crew at the boathouse and so the ILB was launched within 4 minutes and on scene some 10 minutes later. The craft was taken in tow and returned to Rhyl harbour, then returned to the boathouse at 1400.

DSC_0602 DSC_0603

18/5/2017. 1230. The crew were paged directly by UK coastguard at Holyhead after they received a report that a person had fallen in the water in Rhyl harbour. As it was low water, the ILB was taken by road to the launch site in the harbour. In the meantime, the coastguard had been advised by North Wales police that the incident was actually in the Marine Lake, but the incident had now been resolved. The ILB was therefore stood down and returned to station at 12.45.

15/4/2017. 1507.The crew of a local private fishing boat reported to Rhyl harbourmaster that a small sailing boat had suffered engine failure in the outer harbour, so this was reported to Holyhead Coastguard. The fishing boat crew managed to get the boat and it’s two occupants to the centre pontoon as the ILB was launching. This is not accessible from the land and so when the ILB arrived, they took the two on board and transferred the craft to the harbour wall pontoon, where they were left with the harbourmaster, able to be recovered to shore. The ILB then returned to station at 1608.

29/3/2017.2308. ILB requested to launch to search for a female in the harbour area after Holyhead Coastguard received a request from North Wales Police. As the crew were proceeding by road, the police reported the person was now safe and they could be stood down. Returned to station at 2323.

8/3/2017.1304. The local coastguard team were alerted by UK Coastguard at Holyhead, that they had received a 999 call about a male entering the water off Splash Point, Rhyl. The ILB crew were paged and were just about to leave the station when Rhyl coastguard reported the male was a kite surfer who had become displaced from his board and was re-entering the sea to try and find it. As all was well, the ILB was stood down before launching.

18/1/2017. 0925 The ILB was launched to reports of a person entering the water off the Nova centre, Prestatyn. Whilst en route, North Wales Police confirmed that the person was in fact a fisherman wading through the water. The ILB was stood down by Holyhead Coastguard. Rhyl Coastguard rescue team were also paged. Classed as a false alarm with good intent. The ILB returned to station by 0945.

10/1/2017. 1230 The ILB crew were alerted to a kite surfer seen in difficulty off the Pavilion Theatre, about 250m East of the station. Another kite surfer was also in the vicinity. The ILB and crew proceeded along the beach to near the person, and found that both the kite surfers had self-recovered and all was well. The ILB returned to station at 1245. Classed as a standby.

Subscribe to Rhyl RNLI via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Rhyl RNLI and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 48 other subscribers